Monday, 6 June 2011

Worst five minutes....

I've been aiming to post every day but I didn't manage it last night. I did have a good reason though. I was feeding my daughter, looked down and realised that the area around her right eye had completely swelled up and she could barely see out of it. I was eating a peanut butter cookie at the time so immediately thought it was an allergic reaction to the peanut butter. I panicked and burst into tears, rang my uncle who said he was on his way, rang my mum who said to clean it and ring the nhs helpline. My uncle turned up, rang them, and we ended up taking her to a walk in clinic. They said it was probably just an eye infection, not an allergic reaction, and gave me some antibacterial eye drops. They said that if it was an allergic reaction then it would be gone by this morning. I used the drops on her last night, and put her to bed, by that time it was already going down. By this morning, the swelling has pretty much disappeared, so I'm not sure whether it really is an eye infection or if it was an allergic reaction. I'm still going to keep cleaning it and using the eye drops just in case though. Obviously it wasn't really an reaction to the peanut butter or it would have been a lot worse, but it could still be a reaction to something, and there were a few minutes where I was completely terrified. I think that was the most scared that I've been so far, I really hope it doesn't happen again.


  1. Oh that is scary. Hopefully it was only a minor infection. Wishing you and your daughter the best. Stumbled across your blog via blogger cafe and now following.

  2. Thank you :)

    She seems fine now, it's not been bothering her at all. She was even busy playing while I was freaking out on the phone! I just panicked a bit cos I know how bad peanut butter allergies can be and I had a bad allergic reaction to something once (hives).